Nature of Course: Open to internal GSTT attendees only and GPs (and Trainees) within South London
Course Director: Colette Laws-Chapman, Simulation Lead for Non Medical Staff
Admission Avoidance is an interprofessional, one and a half day course for healthcare practitioners working in primary and community care services. It offers the chance to practice in a safe environment the real-life skills needed to communicate and care for potential deteriorating residents in a residential care setting.
This programme combines the use of low and high fidelity simulation techniques and medical actors to explore how to safely care for residents avoiding unnecessary hospital admissions. Along with a number of clinical emergencies, topics covered will include:
- “Hands on” experience using ageing suits
- Workshops and high-fidelity simulations based on typical clinical scenarios in the residential care home setting
- Performing a structured approach to the unwell resident
- Exploring communication with residents, relatives and professionals
- Understanding aspects of admission avoidance and special circumstances around transfer
- General Practitioners and trainees
- Nursing and Care Assistants and members of district nursing teams (Band 5+)
- Allied Health Professionals who have regular contact with residential care residents
- To be announced
- Free to eligible attendees
Please contact the Simulation Team for more information.