Course Director: Dr Simon Calvert, Consultant, Emergency & Intensive Care Medicine, King’s College Hospital, London and Dr Simon Broughton
Course Reference Number: 011/2014
Course Director Email: email@example.com
Target Audience: Doctors, Nurses and allied health staff including ODP’s working in Emergency medicine, general wards areas, Critical Care, Endoscopy, Interventional radiology
KCH aim to integrate the learning from the two existing trauma simulation courses: TTL and TTM – both successful courses that aim to refine trauma team training through inter-professional simulation. Both courses aim to provide multi-disciplinary team training to improve management of trauma patients within SE London. It is recognised that both courses do have significant overlap. The proposed course – Integrated Trauma Life Support (ITLS) will be opened to everyone involved in receiving trauma patients in our SE London Trauma Network.
- Integrating and updating content of pre-course learning from both courses,
- Specific content in pre-course material tailored to leadership role (
- Whole trauma team involvement in 5-6 scenarios
- Trauma team member and trauma team leader will train in the same course with the same scenarios
- Opportunity for extended pre-course learning, and leadership debrief/ workshops depending on candidates practice role
- Outcome of course depending on level of registration and engagement with the course e.g. completed course/ completed course with leadership “add-ons” with a PDP completed
It is also recognised that simulation that involves both more senior leaders and junior effectors of trauma management demonstrates a more authentic team dynamic, and that this may be more effective as a learning environment. This integration will also allow team members to interchange roles within the scenarios – fluid team roles are more reflective of real clinical situations and also encourage individual development, particularly that of team members in transition to leadership roles.